The ABCDE of Time Management For Daycare Owners

A few months back, I began listening to Brian Tracy's 21 Secrets of Success. And I must say, it is a wonderful CD. He makes complicated concepts a whole lot simpler by breaking the concept down into simpler and more manageable tasks / steps.

I would like to share with you one very useful takeway on time management from the CD. As entrepreneurs, we are always plagued by a lot of things to do. We need to look into the day to day management of the daycare centre, we need to think about the curriculum development of the daycare centre, we need to grapple with staffing issues and we need to handle difficult daycare parents and children. So many things to do and do little time, we tell ourselves that we must multi-task. Basically, try to do as many things as we can at the same time.

I was therefore an eye (or rather ear) opener to learn about the ABCDE method. Very interesting. Brian Tracy recommend that every day before you start your day (preferably the night before), spend a few minutes listing down the things that you need to do. And behind all the items, put an A,B,C,D or E next to it. A for those tasks you deem as very important, B for tasks which are important but not as important as A, etc. Then look at all the As and put a 1,2,3, etc beside it. The rule is that you must discipline yourself to finish your A1 task before you embark on your A2 task and you do not start your A3 task before you complete your A2 task, and so on. And he recommends that D tasks to be re-delegated for someone else to complete and E tasks to be eliminated.

I was a little skeptical at first but surprisingly, I loved it. Not only did I become more productive, I found myself like a little girl, happily cancelling off tasks which I had completed and I know I wouldn't need to look at again. It was a great morale booster.




______________________________________________________
For tips and info on daycare mgmt, visit http://www.setupadaycare.com/